Please be aware that the information below is based on the FDA-approved dosing schedule - other schedules are being used experimentally - always follow your doctor's advice - but if it is different than what you find here, ask him about it and why it is different.
TAKING THE MEDICATION
- The medication should be packaged in five separate pill bottles; one for each day of treatment. Each bottle should contain the same number of pills. You will be taking Temodar in pill form for 5 consecutive days every 28 days. (For those taking it at the same time as radiation - the schedule is different)
- Bedtime may be the best time to take Temodar, in order to reduce the risk of nausea.
- Do NOT eat anything for at least an hour (1) before taking your Temozolomide
- Take your regularly scheduled medicine as usual.
- Take Zofran or any other anti-emetic your doctor has prescribed thirty (30) minutes before your Temozolomide.
- Take all of your Temozolomide with a full glass of water.
- Swallow capsules whole and in rapid succession. DO NOT CHEW!
- You may eat two (2) hours after taking your Temozolomide
- If you feel sick, you may take your anti-emetic four (4) hours after your first dose. If the anti-emetic does not make you feel better, please let us know.
- BLOODWORK: You will need to have labwork checked three weeks after starting Temodar and possibly again on the day you are evaluated for the next cycle of treatment. These may be drawn at the doctor's office, a lab, or at a hospital close to home. VERY IMPORTANT: Please let the prescribing doctor's office know if you have restrictions on your insurance as to where you can have labwork drawn.
- Please use sunblock 15 whenever outside for more than 15 minutes